Biomakespace Forum

Start planning events? for Cambridge Science Festival 2017

(Tony Naggs) #1

In case you don’t know, Cambridge Science Festival runs for 2 weeks every March, and includes hundreds of public outreach/engagement events around the city. (The 2nd week coincides with the national British Science Week.)

The 2017 Science Festival runs from 13th - 26th March inclusive, the overall theme will be decided in August and event details can be submitted from early Spetember. [1] [2] [3]

Participating in the Science Festival would be a great opportunity to publicise the Biomakespace, and to address our goals around public engagement.

We need to start considering what events we want to run or participate in, as final copy for the printed programme is required by 7th November.

I have some ideas for possible events & activities, but I’m not a biologist [4] so I’m probably the worst person to give a talk or manage a demonstration. (Some thoughts are extrapolated from recent years, I have not specifically confirmed they will be the same this time.)

• “Open Day” at Biomakespace, with tours & talks. The last day of the Science Festival (in 2017 this is Sunday 26th March) is mostly on the Biomedical Campus and includes an “Open Day” at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, with lots of talks, posters, hands-on demonstrations. Various other talks & tours of the CRUK, MRC, etc… on the Biomedical Campus.
    (Tours will need some care in planning & advertising, e.g. to not disturb Ideaspace, and because our lab is not easily accessed by wheel chair & there is no wheel chair fire exit. Though probably the Clinical School will be using the level 2 entrance this year for their own activities so we may not need someone fulltime as a receptionist.)

• “Hands-on” science at The Guildhall, on the first weekend of the festival (18th & 19th March). Families during the daytime, adults early Sat evening. Lots of opportunity to interact with the public, needs things that people can handle, operate themselves, or games around explaining science. Also needs quite a few volunteers to share the work.

• A talk (e.g. “what is biohacking, and why we do it”, or some such) in the main evening and weekend afternoon series at the Mill Lane lecture rooms. I think the Festival block books these, and therefore there are no venue hire fees, though these slots are probably heavily competed for.

Specific suggestions for activities are very welcome! And we will need volunteers too!
:slight_smile:

Footnotes:

1. For Cam Science Festival dates etc start here http://www.sciencefestival.cam.ac.uk/get-involved
  2. More details in How the Festival Works (PDF)
  3. Programme as printed (PDF) for Cambridge Science Festival 2016
  4. I’m a software/electronics engineer, hoping we get extra space for a Biomakespace dry lab to do electrophysiology, build lab elerctronics, experiment with brain computer interfaces, etc…

(Tony Naggs) #2

the theme for the 2017 Cambridge Science Festival is: getting personal

So maybe we could do something on personalised medicine; gene testing & such? Or personal health tracking, with Fitbit etc…

(Tony Naggs) #3

OMG, that’s awesome. My whole business is about skincare personalisation :slight_smile: I have already written to them but they haven’t replied yet.

(rogermason) #5

I could possibly do something along the lines of the of the basic practical demonstrations that I used to run for Open University Summer Schools - individual differences in EMG recorded from leg muscles with non-invasive, stick-on single-use electrodes; differences in sensory perception: odours, tastes, somatotopic receptive fields etc.

What do you think?

(Tony Naggs) #6

We now have Trello task for this - https://trello.com/c/AcnDW7nV/37-science-festival-plans

(Tony Naggs) #7

Thanks Roger, this sounds good! Our current thinking is to run two events:
(1) some demos such as this during the “family weekend” in the Plant & Life Sciences Marquee,
(2) on the last Sunday of the festival in the Addenbrooke’s Open Day to have hourly tours & microbiology demonstrations, with maybe coffee, tea, cupcakes & posters in the IdeaSpace kitchen.

(Tony Naggs) #8

Would anyone like to give a talk about the Biomakespace and what kind of things happen there?

A big activity at the Cambridge Science Festival is the talks at weekends or evenings at the Mill Lane lecture rooms. It could be a good opportunity to explain what can happen at such a space, the scope of activities, the public engagement ethos, and the importance of safety & oversight.

(Jenny Molloy) #9

I’d be happy to do that - we should get someone up from London as well!
We could more generally talk about making and DIYBio type things then specifically about the space.
Looks like there is quite a bit of interest given the recent Science Museum invitation.

(Matt) #10

Brainstorming ideas for the talk title:

Thanks to Jenny, Tony, Roger and Lara for the ideas!

biomakers
biomakespace
tour
tourism
globetrotting
global
world tour
biomaker world
biohacking
diybio
biohacking to biomakers
garden biotech to garage biotech
grand tour
grand opening
biomaking on the road
road trip
hacking biology for fun
hacking biology for educational purposes
how to hack biology
The rough guide to biohacking
The lonely hacker guide to biomakespaces
biomaker galaxy
universe
The Biohackers Guide To The Galaxy
The Biohikers Guide To The Galaxy
Playing God.
How to play god.
Bioverse.
Biological Universe
The Makers Guide to the Bioverse
Biome
Biosphere
A short history of nearly everything (about biomakers)
A brief history of slime.
Hacking Biology.
Field Questions.
Democratising biohacking.
Citizen Science
Beyond the Lab.
Hacking biology beyond the lab.

A world tour of hacking biology
A rough guide to hacking biology

(Jenny Molloy) #11

We had a discussion about this today and landed on the following:

• A table in the Plant and Life Science Marquee on the first weekend called ‘Biomakespace: engineering biology together’ - already sent to organisers (deadline for title is 30 Oct)
  • Tours of the space on the second weekend ‘Meet the Biomakers’
  • Talk in Mill Lane - title TBC

Deadline for registering the latter two is 7 Nov. If anyone wants to help with the descriptions and contribute ideas, there is a googledoc for planning linked to the Trello task.

(Jenny Molloy) #12

@tonyn got us an extension to submit our events, although I think we can do one today as it’s fairly simple:

Meet the Biomakers

Date: Sunday 26 March 2016
Times: 11:00-16:00
Venue: Biomakespace, Bay 13, Biomedical Campus, Hill’s Road, Cambridge

Biomakespace is a new community laboratory for Cambridge, enabling people with a curiosity for engineering with biology to collaborate and learn together. Biomakespace members will run tours of the space and introduce their projects on the hour (first tour at 11:00 and last at 15:00). Whether you’re interested in building sensors with DNA, printing cells, building microscopes or more, get inspired with the biomakers.

###Evening Lecture

@mj365 came up with a fantastic brainstorm list above, one of my favourites was ‘The rough guide to hacking biology’ - ‘rough guide’ is apparently trademarked so this one is out, although ironically while searching .gov.uk to find that out I discovered its unacknowledged use in this Foreign Office Publication.

Other options might be:

• Garden biotech to garage biotech and beyond
  • Hacking biology through time and space

There are some notes on the event description and content in the googledoc.

If you have a chance to look over and contribute ideas, please do!
Here is the planning doc:

(Tony Naggs) #13

This looks fine, except we should probably mention access issues (no level access for wheelchairs) for the Biomakespace tours?

(Jenny Molloy) #14

There is a tickbox for that on the event registration form so I didn’t include it in the description, but yes, we should flag.

(Jenny Molloy) #15

@tonyn I’ve submitted the proposal for the tours (thank you for coming up with that idea!) and set up an eventbrite booking page which I’ll add you to as an organiser. We can alter the size of the tours and make the booking requirement less or more strong as we get closer to the time…

This is as good as my ideas for the event title and description have got! Ideas and comments either here or on the googledoc are most welcome:

Hacking biology through time and space (@mj365 @lara.g how does this sound? We had so many words and it’s so hard to find the right order! Real shame that the rough guide is trademarked!)

Join the Cambridge Biomakespace team and historian of science Dr Helen Anne Curry on a voyage of discovery from amateur experimentation in horticulture with tools fresh from the early 19th century research laboratory through to current activities with do-it-yourself biologists, biohackers and citizen scientists across the world. Our whirlwind global tour will deposit us back in Cambridge to explore the Biomakespace, a new community laboratory on the Biomedical Campus, which enables people curious about engineering biology to collaborate and learn together.

(Tony Naggs) #16

@jenny Glad to help with ideas, thanks for doing all the follow up!

(Jenny Molloy) #17

Just to confirm that these are our events for the Science Festival:

###Biomakespace: engineering biology together
18 March 2016, 10:00-16:00
Plant and Life Sciences Marquee (Exhibition)

###Meet the Biomakers
Sunday 26 March 2016, 10:00-16:00
Biomakespace
Free Registration >>

Biomakespace is a new community laboratory for Cambridge, enabling people with a curiosity for engineering with biology to collaborate and learn together. Biomakespace members will run tours of the space and introduce their projects on the hour (first tour at 11:00 and last at 15:00). Whether you’re interested in building sensors with DNA, printing cells, building microscopes or more, get inspired with the biomakers.

###Hacking biology through time and space
15 March 2017, 18:00-19:00
Large Lecture Theatre, Department of Plant Sciences
Free Registration >>

Join the Cambridge Biomakespace team and historian of science Dr Helen Anne Curry on a whirlwind global tour of biological engineering, from amateur efforts to use tools for genetic manipulation fresh from the early 20th century laboratory to through to current activities with do-it-yourself biologists, biohackers and citizen scientists across the world. Our voyage of discovery will deposit us back in Cambridge will deposit us back in Cambridge to explore the Biomakespace, a new community laboratory on the Biomedical Campus, which enables people curious about engineering biology to collaborate and learn together.

Thanks to @tonyn @lara.g @mj365 and others for all your ideas!

(Tony Naggs) #18