Biomakespace Forum

Real-time Check-in for Biomakespace

(Pavan Keerthi) #1

Hi,

The other day somebody suggested an idea of having check-in system to see “Who is in the space” right now.
I feel this is a good idea since space is a bit outside of city centre and phone signal is bad to ring somebody to find out.

I want to ask around - what kind of features you would like to see?

(Tony Naggs) #2

What is your goal here?

There are reasonable things to address; will there be someone else in the lab this afternoon/evening, so that I can do labwork in compliance with lone working policies? Or can someone familiar with the qPCR train me this weekend?

I would be unhappy with general remote monitoring of people present in the space, as it could be abused for stalker-ish begaviour.

I think this needs to be discussed at a Thursday committee meeting, so that the nuances can be considered early on.

Cheers!

(Jenny Molloy) #3

My understanding is that it would be an opt-in system if people would like to broadcast to other members that they are in the space should anyone be thinking right now about coming down and wants to see who’s around. @tonyn’s use cases sound like advance planning so probably more of a ‘is someone booked in on the calendar’ situation!

@pavankeerthi is that about it? Not general monitoring but specific opt-in public/other member broadcast?

Seems like more of a general community discusssion than one for committee meetings (which by the way anyone is welcome to attend if you’re interested in discussing and making decisions about Biomakespace, they’re always on Thursdays 7-9pm no need to RSVP).

Jenny

(Pavan Keerthi) #4

@jenny - You got it right. Yes I was thinking along the lines " if people would like to broadcast to other members that they are in the space should anyone be thinking right now about coming down". Obviously it has to be some kind of opt-in system.

@tonyn 's calendar booking suggestion could be added on later once all the equipment in place