Biomakespace Forum

Build a plantarium with Biomakespace!

(Matt) #21

Great work Pavan, well impressed with the water sensor. Is it a dedicated water sensing component? Or a hack based on conductivity or something?

Yes, the LEDs are crazy bright! Possibly over spec’d.

(Matt) #22

By the way, the dedicated terrarium cactus soil finally arrived, nearly a week late. Sorry about that. Let me know if you want some. We might have to fix up another meetup!

(Yuki) #23

Yesterday’s images

(Matt) #24

Looking good! Will you be bringing them to the Biomakespace before the tours? or should I arrange to pick them up? I’ll be setting up for the tours on Saturday so I could get them then, let me know!

(Matt) #25

@pavankeerthi are you still available to volunteer for the slots you signed up for on the morning of Sunday 25th? And are you able to bring your Plantarium and Raspberry Pi? it would be great to show off all of our work. The other things I’m hoping to set up to demo are a DNA gel with some DNA on it to visualise and some slides for microscopy, maybe to view some plant cells.

If anyone on here is interested to learn about these techniques, let me know and we can arrange to meet up on Saturday.

(Yuki) #26

Hi Matt,

I wanted to write you the day before yesterday, for arduino, I needed the model (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNO-R3-Arduino-Rev3-328-MEGA328P-ATMEGA16U2-Compatible-Board-FREE-USB-UK/262219663620?epid=702374856&hash=item3d0d828904:g:1SkAAOSwOW9Z4fAg ?).
But it might be late (I was thinking of using another pc different from the one with the keyboard problems).
I went to Sedgwick site on Sunday. There was a group on photoperiodism and one on roots. I talked and recalled that Arabidopsis is the quickest plant to grow in research, but, it takes weeks to flourish. Flowers need generally a few weeks.
Could I send Pavan (and Sheila) the article I sent you?
As for plants, I can drop them on Saturday. Tell me where and when.
For DNA and microscopy, if normal techniques, I might not ask you. Thank you.
I hope the event is a success.

Yuki

(Matt) #27

Hi Yuki,

Yes, if you are really keen to have LEDs to illuminate/grow your plants, then an arduino uno is a good place to start, but I’m sure other similar devices could work.

The Adafruit website and neopixel uberguide can help. There’s links above. There is also a smaller, simpler control board called the Adafruit Gemma, I just got one to test. Its the same price as your arduino uno link though, and that arduino uno looks like great value.

It would be cool to try to grow arabidopsis, it is supposed to be abundant and I’m sure lots of online resources, genome data etc.

Yes, you should be able to attach it to a forum post as a pdf, or host it on google drive/drop box or similar and then link it?

I’ll aim for Biomakespace by 11am, so you could bring them round anytime after that, if its not too much trouble :slight_smile:

Yes, not planning anything sophisticated, but I’m not sure what ‘normal techniques’ is?

Thanks! See you around on Sunday hopefully!

(Matt) #28

By the way, I had some success with my ‘foil wrapped’ experiment - pretty sure the neopixel LEDs make a big difference :slight_smile:

(Pavan Keerthi) #29

@mj365 - Yes. I am still planning to volunteer for 25th Morning. I am happy to bring the plantarium and Raspberry Pi on Saturday and set it up. ( I was hoping to get a box done for the electronics but didn’t get around.)

I am keen to learn about DNA visualisation if you can arrange that.Maybe we can try this on Saturday?

(Yuki) #30

Hi Matt,
if you do Dna extraction, restriction analysis, ligation etc…I might not ask you. But if you do fixation, microtome, or, not optical microscopy, then I might join the group.
Ok for Saturday.
For Arduino, I’m afraid it might be late.
I’ll do the control.
I’ll come back with link Asap.
Thank you.
Yuki

(Jenny Molloy) #31

@pavankeerthi you’re right these things are so bright!

I got mine up and running tonight, this is on a red-tint:

Andrew and I took the approach of soldering pins to the board, drilling holes in the lid to mount it inside and then connecting to the Arduino with female to male jumper leads:

We now have a template design to help people make holes in the right place as well!

Jenny

(Matt) #32

Hi Pavan,

Sounds great, yes meeting on Saturday at Biomakespace from 11am onwards to set up plantariums and LEDs would be great.

I’ll prepare a couple of slides on DNA visualisation for the tour, and you can be my first test subject :slight_smile: Jenny thinks we have enough reagents in the lab to visualise some DNA, so we can certainly prepare gels and have a go. Depending on how much we have in the way of reagents, we may have to think about preserving the gel, or waiting until Sunday morning to do the final one.

See you on Saturday

To answer Yuki’s questions, I am not planning any DNA extraction or ligation, possibly restriction digest but I don’t know what we have in the freezer yet sorry.

I will try to mount some samples on glass slides, most likely of plant tissue, Jenny got some histochemistry stains, and I am hoping that we will be able to do some optical microscopy. In theory I can operate the Leica Confocal, but I don’t have time to have a full session practising or samples for this, so at the moment this is looking unlikely. Sorry I can’t be more precise. The main event is our plantariums, which are all looking fantastic :slight_smile:

Awesome work Jenny (and Andrew!). Very neat and precise job, please do share your template and help me! Mine is a total bodge with elastic bands at the moment! Your succulent looks really different under red!

I’ll bring my ‘cress test’ on Saturday and we can think about how to present the different plants and set ups. Bonus points if you can find the latin name of the plant(s) you have grown.

I don’t plan to post a ‘meet up’, as getting introduced to new people on Saturday might disrupt preparation for the tours. I hope this is OK. I’ll be at the space from 11am - 3pm, do let me know your ETA if you need letting in.

Matt

(Yuki) #33

Hi Matt,

thank you for letting me know. I have very little time this week.

Beautiful!

On google drive the article I shared with Matt.It might be long/complex(abstract):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17at8KutA0k58r7HEl2n3pM-4FIKRLNxh/view?usp=sharing

A more specific, on led wave lengths and plant development (abstract):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RA-qauCmO1aISvGVpRX5hrTE2ySJ5Lvy/view?usp=sharing

Impact of light and alpine plants:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zzOJLnkKWTUqzbMnHi07Shwd54MLL6os/view?usp=sharing

Yuki

P.s.: if you want, a small history of plant circadian rhythms:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10vo2PTl0T1jM0U4dibZ43XLlYmotqAVT/view?usp=sharing

(Pavan Keerthi) #34

@matt - I will try to reach by 11:30am.

@jenny-looks very Pro !

(Yuki) #35

P.s.: Blooming of of Japanese cherries now: https://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php